The City of Fort Walton Beach Police Department accepts applications from prospective candidates for Police Officer and Communications Officer positions on an ongoing basis.
Applicants for Police Officer or Communications Officer positions must apply online and the application process may take several weeks to complete.
If you are applying for Police Officer, a Police Officer Pre-Employment Questionnaire MUST be filled in and attached to your application. If you are applying for Communications Trainee, a Communications Trainee Questionnaire MUST be filled in and attached to your application. These questionnaires are also linked in the "Documents" section under the Human Resources menu.
A copy of the following forms must be downloaded with your online application and questionnaire.
- Driver's License
- Social Security Card
- Birth Certificate
- Proof of Citizenship (Naturalization Papers, Birth Certificate, U.S. Passport)
- High School Diploma (High School Diploma, GED, or College Transcripts)
- DD214 (Must Be Honorable Discharge)
- Law Enforcement Certification (If Applicable)
Police Officer Minimum Qualifications
The following requirements should be met before applying for a Police Officer position.
- Be at least 19 years of age.
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be a high school graduate or its equivalent.
- Have completed police basic recruit training or high liability proficiency (if exempt from basic recruit training) and pass the Florida State certification examination.
- Be a nonuser of tobacco or tobacco products commencing with the date of hire.
- Received an honorable or better discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United States, if applicable.
- Have good moral character as defined in FAC Rule 11b-27.
- Shall not have been convicted of domestic violence or any felony or misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement. Any person who, after July 1, 1981, pleads guilty or nolo contendere to or is found guilty of a felony or misdemeanor involving perjury or a false statement shall not be eligible for employment or appointment as an officer, notwithstanding suspension of sentence or withholding of adjudication.
- Possess a valid driver's license