Camp Walton Schoolhouse Museum
The Camp Walton Schoolhouse Museum is a historic two-room structure that maintains and interprets items from the early history of Camp Walton and education in the county covering the years 1911 to the 1930s.
In the heart of the historic downtown, Fort Walton Beach is where the Camp Walton Schoolhouse can be found today, but it was originally located across the street from the present-day Chamber of Commerce on Main Street (Highway 98). It has been moved three different times.
This building was the first schoolhouse constructed for the children of Camp Walton, later to be Fort Walton Beach. Local citizens built the school of native pine and oak in 1911. When the school opened in 1912, there were 15 students and one teacher. Eight grades were taught in this one-room school.
In 1927 another room was added to the building for the high school students, grades 9 to 12, and their teacher.
In 1936 the school was closed when the new all-brick Fort Walton School was built. The old school building was purchased by John Brooks of the Gulf View Motor Company and moved to Fourth and Tupelo. It was used as apartments for several families during World War II. The building was eventually sold to Dr. and Mrs. Langston who continued to use it as rentals. By the 1970's the building had been left to deteriorate. It was scheduled to be burned by the fire department, but members of the Junior Service League convinced the owners to donate the building to become a historic museum.
The preservation of the school building was undertaken by the Junior Service League and the Okaloosa County School Board in 1974. They moved the school to First Street and opened the building to the public as an educational museum in 1976. In 1986 the City of Fort Walton Beach assumed the operation of the building and its programs. It continued to serve as an educational museum for field trips and summer visitors through 2005.
In January 2006 the Camp Walton Schoolhouse Museum was moved to join the Indian Temple Mound Museum, the Fort Walton Temple Mound, and the Garnier Post Office Museum to create a Heritage Park. The buildings are now open for visitors six days a week and its education programs are conducted by the Museum Division, City of Fort Walton Beach.
Admission to this building is included with your regular museum admission price. This museum is handicapped accessible and is a one-minute walk around the mound from the Indian Temple Mound Museum.
It is physically located on the same property as the Indian Temple Mound Museum.